Deflicker

Support for my VirtualDub filters
DAE avatar
jpbmass

Deflicker

Post by jpbmass »

I have three VHS tapes of old 8mm home movies that were converted ("commercially") to DVD with very strong flicker. Have tried the VirtualDub deflicker filter and also tried the Avisynth deflicker script that was posted earlier but nothing seems to help. A sample of the Video is posted at http://www.mediafire.com/?zkl9xnd97cpnl5k

Can anyone help me with this?
admin

Re: Deflicker

Post by admin »

Sorry, I don't have anything that will serve that FOURCC (MPEG) via Avisynth. As a rule I don't install things I don't need, so can you give it to me in HUFYUV, LAG, Divx, or some standard codec? Thanks for your understanding.
DAE avatar
jpbmass

Post by jpbmass »

DAE avatar
jpbmass

Post by jpbmass »

ANOTHER SOLUTION: I have found that using Temporal Cleaner (Luma blending threshold at 150 & pixel lock at 4, Chroma blending threshold at 20 & pixel lock at 8) followed by Temporal Smoother (Strength at 7) in VirtualDub gets rid of most of my frame to frame flicker. As would be expected with these very high numbers, motion is pretty bad; however, the original 8mm movies are 50 years old, the equipment was primitive, the photography was poor and the transfer to VHS was not done very well so it may not be practical to ever make these look really good. However, the basic content is priceless and the Temporal filtering results are a lot better than the initial conversion so I'm reasonably content. Please let me know if anyone comes up with a better solution.
jpbmass