DGDecomb

These CUDA filters are packaged into DGDecodeNV, which is part of DGDecNV.
admin

Re: DGDecomb

Post by admin »

Please provide a sample video and script and I'll be happy to look into it. Let me know which frame(s) to focus on.

While I wait for your sample I'll do some comparisons on the streams I have.
admin

Post by admin »

I cannot detect any difference using this script:

loadplugin("dgdecodenv.dll")
loadplugin("yadifmod2.dll")
v=dgsource("Cityscape.dgi")
y=v.yadifmod2(order=1,mode=1)
d=v.dgbob(order=1,mode=1)
subtract(y,d) # then Levels in VirtualDub to amplify differences

So I really need your sample. Was it yadifmod2 you were comparing to?
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

My source:
http://www.mediafire.com/file/qex686cvd ... ob_test.ts

The script (both plugins are autoloaded):
clip=DGSource("c:\DGBob_test.dgi")
bob1=clip.yadifmod2(mode=1,order=1).subtitle("yadifmod2")
bob2=clip.DGbob(order=1,mode=1).subtitle("DGBob")
Return interleave(bob1,bob2)
admin

Post by admin »

Downloading now...
admin

Post by admin »

OK, I know what is going on. I will fix it. After it is fixed, you may see DGBob having less residual combing due to the small bug in yadifmod2 that I mentioned.
admin

Post by admin »

OK, all fixed and uploaded. Thanks for pointing it out, Sharc.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

Confirmed. The combing artefacts are gone now. Thanks for the new filter.
admin

Post by admin »

You're welcome. I'd be lost without you guys.
:bow:
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Just checking -

In order to add to thread https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1801677 seeking to update the filter list into Vapoursynth so that VS can successfully seek and return the right number of frames forward/back, is this correct (in particular dgbob which I'm not sure is temporal) ?

filter name, frames (forward and back, or current frame) they need as input to produce one frame of output
DGSource(), 1 = current
DGDenoise(), 1 = current
DGSharpen(), 1 = current
DGTelecide(), 1 = current
DGDecimate(), 1 = current
DGBob(), previous, current, next (per http://avisynth.nl/index.php/Yadif ? "It check pixels of previous, current and next frames to re-create the missed field by some local adaptive method ")

edit: ah, the history, https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... post332363
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

Great question, hydra3333. You're right that DGBob needs previous, current, and next, so it has temporal processing. Here's the list.

Each GetFrame() call requests these frames:

DGSource(): current only
DGDenoise(): current only
DGSharpen(): current only
DGTelecide(): always previous + current
DGDecimate(): up to (cycle size + 2) number of previous + current
DGBob(): always previous + current + next

Isn't something seriously wrong with Vapoursynth if this has to be hard-coded in the core? DGDecimate() at script run time cannot tell the Vapoursynth core at its compile time what the cycle size is going to be, and if Vapoursynth always assumes some maximum it is going to over-request frames.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

admin wrote:Isn't something seriously wrong with Vapoursynth if this has to be hard-coded in the core? DGDecimate() at script run time cannot tell the Vapoursynth core at its compile time what the cycle size is going to be, and if Vapoursynth always assumes some maximum it is going to over-request frames.
Yep, portable Vapoursynth is great, but let's say it's a tad less than ideal in this case :)

I suppose an arbitrary large default number of frames will have to do for DGDecimate and "it is going to over-request frames".

... wouldn't it be nice if it were configurable at script startup from a .ini text file of defaults in the vapoursynth folder (with a default file provided with vapoursynth) ... and then a new function available to over-ride with say ["function_name", number_before, number after] if such a thing were possible. Of course, I reckon you have suggested this before :)

edit 1: your suggestion has been made at https://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php? ... ost1806315

edit 2: The answer was no. Oh well.
I really do like it here.
admin

Post by admin »

Here's another stupidity with the VS prefetch nonsense. DGBob (and yadifmod2 and probably others) can specify either single-rate or double-rate deinterlacing by a parameter. The PREFETCH parameters would need to be different for these two and I don't see how to set that at VS compile time.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

DGTelecide vs DGBob for single-rate deinterlacing:
DGBob produces significantly less jaggies (e.g. on nearly horizontal lines), but the picture seems to be a bit softer (loss of details) compared to DGTelecide. Is this observation basically correct? Is DGBob(mode=0) equivalent to DGBob(mode=1).selecteven() ?
admin

Post by admin »

Sharc wrote: DGBob produces significantly less jaggies (e.g. on nearly horizontal lines), but the picture seems to be a bit softer (loss of details) compared to DGTelecide.
DGBob (and yadif variants) deinterlaces the entirety of all frames without any checks, while DGTelecide uses a threshold to try to spare static areas of the frame. I could add that to DGBob to get the best of both worlds if you think it would be useful. Is it the static areas you are talking about?
Is DGBob(mode=0) equivalent to DGBob(mode=1).selecteven() ?
Yes, with two caveats: 1) for TFF it's selecteven, for BFF it's selectodd(), 2) mode=0 will be faster.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

DGBob (and yadif variants) deinterlaces the entirety of all frames without any checks, while DGTelecide uses a threshold to try to spare static areas of the frame.

I compared DGBob(mode=0) with DGTelecide(mode=2,pthresh=0.0,dthresh=0.0). Doesn't DGTelecide in this case deinterlace the entirety of the frames unconditionally?
Is it the static areas you are talking about?
Camera pan of static objects, yes.
I could add that to DGBob to get the best of both worlds if you think it would be useful.
Hmmm, I don't know. Maybe I should do less pixel peeping ... :geek:
admin

Post by admin »

Sharc wrote: I compared DGBob(mode=0) with DGTelecide(mode=2,pthresh=0.0,dthresh=0.0). Doesn't DGTelecide in this case deinterlace the entirety of the frames unconditionally?
Yes. I'll run some tests to see if I can see it too.
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

admin wrote:
Sharc wrote: I compared DGBob(mode=0) with DGTelecide(mode=2,pthresh=0.0,dthresh=0.0). Doesn't DGTelecide in this case deinterlace the entirety of the frames unconditionally?
Yes. I'll run some tests to see if I can see it too.
If you don't see the difference I could upload a sample where the difference (jaggies) is obvious.
admin

Post by admin »

The reduction of jaggniness is easy to see. I was referring to your claim that DGBob is softer. Do you have a clip showing that?
DAE avatar
Sharc

Post by Sharc »

I have to check again regarding softening/loss of details. It could be that the jaggies/pixels of DGTelecide left me with the impression of more details/sharpness. I need to find a better interlaced source .....
Anyway, DGBob is very good and looks very much the same (almost identical) as yadifmod2.
admin

Post by admin »

DGBob() and yadifmod2() both implement Niedermayer's original concept so it is not surprising. There is one small difference in that yadifmod2() has a small bug in the spatial check. It's not clear how often it is triggered in practice.

The Niedermayer algorithm is an instance of width 7 ELA. Better results can be obtained with a wider kernel, so I am thinking of experimenting with a width 9 or 11 ELA. The challenge is to modify the spatial sanity check in an effective way. I suppose it is only performance issues that limited things to width 7 in the past.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Well, its obvious you are at it, 5 filters and counting, but if you think its worth it and you have a couple of minutes to spare ;) , would you consider resizing filter(s)? :?:
admin

Post by admin »

Sure, I'll consider anything. Actually, resizing is ideal for CUDA.

Caveat: I have to write a physics paper for a special issue on Bell's inequality, so I will likely not be able to do much coding for a few months. Also, the nVidia Video SDK 8 is out so I have to modify DGDecNV to deliver high bit depth. Oy, then add high-bit-depth to all the CUDA filters! :cry:
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Good things are worth waiting for :D
admin

Post by admin »

Damned host is screwed up again. Losing packets all over the place. I cannot get files from FTP, etc. This is it. After I finish my paper I'm changing hosts.
DAE avatar

Post by Guest »

Relax and focus on something fun, like your paper on quantum physics about Bell's inequality ;)