ever considered supporting AMD cards too ?

Anything related to video and my tools that is not a support request.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Honest question.
Hope I don't get banned !
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

He he. Not really. At this point there are two show stoppers: 1) I'd have to make an AMD system, and 2) the amount of work to get DGDecAMD developed on a par with DGDecNV would be an insane amount of work. DGDecNV was developed slowly and continuously over a period of 20 years. I'm turning 70 this year. This is not one of those never say never situations. Never!

Nevertheless, thank you for asking. :)
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

I don't own an AMD card, so OK by me :)

That large looking number is the new 50, so you're just reaching your peak :)
In mind, anyway, if my mates and I are anything to go by :lol:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Honestly, m8, I still feel in my brain like age 18. You and me, we're gonna have a contest to reach 100, and not in a nursing home. With the right diet it can be done. Just watch.
Albert

Post by Albert »

Today I was searching "oxalate content of beer". It's low! Stay away from spinach, almonds, and sweet potatoes, though.
Bullwinkle

Post by Bullwinkle »

If a "doctor" tells you to do something, do the opposite. They have a financial interest in keeping you sick.
DAE avatar
Dion

Post by Dion »

With the insane cost on Nvidia cards these days.. I do wish DGIndex worked with ALL video cards :(

That Intel Arc Pro A60 would be so great to use with this frame server.. :bow:
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Really? :roll:

What price are you looking for? Just saw on amazon an RTX 3060 12GB card great for DG stuff (and AI etc.) for $280. You don't need bleeding edge. We're still on a 3090 here. We're not worried about gaming performance. Right?
DAE avatar
Dion

Post by Dion »

I only use that PC for my Plex Server and Encoding videos. So spending 300$ on a GPU isn't exactly what i'm looking for even tho it's not a terrible price. Onboard video is fine for decoding. But the Intel Arc Pro A60 has 12gigs of VRAM and hardware support for ALL codec and it's only 130$.. So it's much more appealing haha. It's not a big deal but would be nice. Currently using a 950 over there which does do HEVC hardware at least.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

We could do it but need a donation for the HW. Can't even think about it with the current environment.
DAE avatar
Dion

Post by Dion »

I was thinking more just remove the CUDA requirement. That way all cards could use it. Similar to how LSMASHSource and FFMS work. Cause DG is much better then those..
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Well sure. That would be like the old DGAVCDec, which used lavc for decoding. But that line was abandoned due to regressions in lavc that made our style of random access difficult or impossible. And if we went that route we would pick up all the deficiencies that you alluded to for stuff based on lavc, and that would undermine your assessment that "DG is much better".

For NVDec/CUDA there is competent and responsive support available. For lavc? Not so much.