Coded frame dimensions are too large

Support forum for DGDecNV
DAE avatar
pbjellies

Post by pbjellies »

I am using the av1an tool to convert videos to AV1 using SVT. It added support for scene splitting using DGDecNV which worked great on lesser videos. I am trying to convert 8k VR now and encountered the error "Coded frame dimensions are too large" which I see occured before on her with a slightly smaller resolution and appeared to be resolved. I'm using a 4090 as I see the previous user had a 2GB vram card which caused additional issues.

I'd appreciate if I was able to use this great tool to speed up processing on these gigantic frames.

https://rationalqm.us/board/viewtopic.p ... +too+large

Here is the resolution information of the video:

Code: Select all

Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main@L6.1@High
Codec ID                                 : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding
Duration                                 : 57 min 35 s
Bit rate                                 : 134 Mb/s
Width                                    : 8 000 pixels
Height                                   : 4 000 pixels
Display aspect ratio                     : 2.000
Frame rate mode                          : Variable
Frame rate                               : 59.940 (59940/1000) FPS
Minimum frame rate                       : 22.380 FPS
Maximum frame rate                       : 59.940 FPS
Original frame rate                      : 59.940 (60000/1001) FPS
Color space                              : YUV
Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0
Bit depth                                : 8 bits
Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.070
Stream size                              : 53.9 GiB (100%)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Welcome to the forum!

Currently our maximums are those of 8K video: 7680 x 4320. Your width is 8000. If you can link a short sample source file we can try to get it working. Your resolution is theoretically supported by NVDec on the 4090. Use DGSplit to get 100MB of the start of the file if needed.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Aw heck, it was easy to change so here is a test version. Please advise your results.

https://rationalqm.us/misc/DGIndexNV_pbjellies.rar
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

We'd appreciate your follow-up. Thank you.
DAE avatar
pbjellies

Post by pbjellies »

- Apologies for the delay. Had my reply almost ready and decided to double check some information.

Thank you, I appreciate it. That change definitely did something as now it seems to have made it past the initial indexing stage without an error. I get many "DGSource - Coded frame size is too large" error message popups during the chunk encoding part, but it never got there before.

https://github.com/master-of-zen/Av1an/pull/796

I just saw that there appears to be some dispute about the av1an project infringing on DgDecNv, so I apologize as I'm new to using that as well and wasn't aware. I understand if you don't want to assist more but I'll provide the information below in case you feel the changes would be helpful to other users outside of Av1an.

Using DGDecNV for chunk decode seems to provide a large speedup for av1an SVT-AV1encoding. With the same settings I got over 11fps using DGDecNV vs about 6.5 using L-SMASH on a 5800x2900 60fps VR video. It must really help to offload the decoding part from the CPU.

Since it sounds like the exact resolution limit is encoded in, I looked through my videos and found a 8192x4096 one to send instead as VR videos seem to go up to that size. It looks like 8192 should be the pixel width limit for "8k" vs "UHD 8k", so hopefully that should cover all of them? https://www.wearethefirehouse.com/aspec ... heat-sheet I've been able to convert successfully using NVEnc so it seems the hardware supports it.

Here is a link to a snippet of the 8192x4096 file:
https://we.tl/t-IFYeRsDmiH
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you.

If you are still getting that from DGSource, it looks like you didn't update DGDecodeNV.dll, or you are picking up an old one, maybe from a plugins folder. Make sure you are running with the one in the RAR I gave you. It should support up to 8192x8192.

Regarding licensing. They can include a link to download my stuff but if they want to physically include it in their distribution they have to get my permission. It's clearly stated in my LICENSE file. I'm obviously not going to sue them but if they will ever want my help they better stay on my good side. How hard is it to ask for permission?

I will test with the file you gave me and report back.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Working fine for me here with both DGIndexNV and DGSource(). Double check you are using the right DLL.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I just saw at their github that they removed DGDecNV support (not just bundled binaries) because they say I "believe they are violating the license." That seems rather petty and extreme. I have clearly said they just can't include my binaries without permission, which I am ready to grant if they ask. Whatever, they aren't trying very hard to stay on my good side. :roll:

EDIT: I opened an issue there clarifying and indicating there is no reason to remove support.
DAE avatar
pbjellies

Post by pbjellies »

Rocky wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 11:16 am
If you are still getting that from DGSource, it looks like you didn't update DGDecodeNV.dll, or you are picking up an old one, maybe from a plugins folder. Make sure you are running with the one in the RAR I gave you. It should support up to 8192x8192.
Whoops. You're completely right. I forgot to update the copy I put in the vapoursynth plugins folder. Explains why the initial part was working but failed once the plugin kicked in. Ironic that I had to get the multitude of dependencies set up myself because nothing was bundled, everything was just linked in the readme, so I don't know what the heck is going on over there.

Working great now that the user error was corrected. The quick test I ran on the largest resolution file showed a large encoding speed difference with the advantage growing over time. Decoding files this large must be a significant CPU load otherwise.

Thank you again for your help & program.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you for the update, sir. I'll make a release with this fix and a few others within a few days. If you have any influence with the av1an guys, encourage them not to drop support for DGDecNV.
DAE avatar
pbjellies

Post by pbjellies »

Looks like they're reverting the removal but being awfully bitchy about it. :facepalm:

Oh well. As a third party I'm just glad to benefit from helpful code like yours.

Thanks again!
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Thank you for the update, pbjellies. I'm sure it was just a misunderstanding.

BTW, please don't add [RESOLVED] to the subject line. We use the green check on the first post for that.