DGSource() New Generation

Support forum for DGDecNV
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Aw, let's just do it. Here is a test version for the New Generation DGSource().

* Performance improved by 33% (measured for UHD).
* DGHDRtoSDR functionality integrated in a CUDASynth-like manner.
DGSource() passes data directly to the DGHDRtoSDR kernel on
the GPU. Two PCIe frame transfers are saved. Additional integrated filters
are planned.
* DGDenoise() integrated. Temporal mode added.
* DGSharpen() integrated.
* Converted to Vapoursynth API4.

There is a Notes.txt file to get you going. Your testing will be appreciated.

http://rationalqm.us/misc/DGDecodeNV_test6.zip

Couldn't let Curly steal the show!
AYColumbia

Post by AYColumbia »

Just saw this and wanted to take a look but the link isn't working/available.

[UPDATE] just dawned on me that should try https://www.rationalqm.us/misc and saw that it's up to test5 now. :) I'll give it a whirl. Thanks for the continued efforts. :D
---
omay, arrylay, curlyq & associates
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Oh yeah, I should have updated the link. Thanks for pointing it out. Test 6 is coming shortly with:

* Vapoursynth API4 implementation.
* Integrated DGSharpen().
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Test6 released.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Marking this resolved as it is released in DGDecNV 252. Follow up in the CUDASynth thread if needed.
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Hello.

I just noticed Nvidia 1050 onward support vp9 hardware decoding and perhaps some platforms continue to yield vp9 media.

I read TFM :D :D DGDecodeNVManual.html and DGIndexNVManual.html and neither mentioned vp9.

Am I missing something or is VP9 out of the question ?

Cheers
I really do like it here.
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Why do you need VP9?
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

The thing is vp9 is no good to me and I'd like to transcode into avc for casting with a chromecast at home.
It can be done with plain ffmpeg alone however lovely filtering (the new denoise and sharpen) becomes out of the question.

No is an OK answer, it's not the end of the world and you have a lot of better things to do :)
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I meant what source content are you getting in VP9?
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Personal. Not to worry.
If you're thinking of something specific, I read <edited, snip> dg tools aren't applicable in that scenario. Ubiquitous streaming availability make such things a silly proposition in any case :)
If I hear some (old!) music in yt or radio, I buy it for use in my car which is the only time I listen to such offline, they're only a couple of quid and I don't need much; the car radio is free and old people's channels are pretty good.
I suppose since vp9 is in nvidia cards but not in dgsource then vp9 must not have been a common thing (ie not value for money effort to implement) and/or you have your own reasons not to implement it. Cool.
Cheers

Time for a joke. The best IT joke sequence of all time at circa 1:00 ...
Rocky

Post by Rocky »

hydra3333 wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 am
If you're thinking of something specific, I read <edited, snip> dg tools aren't applicable in that scenario. Ubiquitous streaming availability make such things a silly proposition in any case :)
After the snip I can't make any sense of this. I suppose youtube and netflix are the main sources of content.
vp9 must not have been a common thing (ie not value for money effort to implement) and/or you have your own reasons not to implement it
In the last 10 years two people have inquired about it. It would be a massive amount of work. If VP9 started being used more widely, or especially on optical media, then the equation would change.

I'll have a look at your links shortly. The world chess candidates tournament is going on!
hydra3333

Post by hydra3333 »

Rocky wrote:
Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:41 pm
After the snip I can't make any sense of this.
Cool. The snip alluded to reading that people could somehow get a clip from yt directly in h.264, precluding the need for dg tools. With the premium, chrome has a d/l button so one can watch, I think, offline. I wouldn't have thought anyone could get anything from netflix, which in any case would be pointless since one would have paid a subscription in the first place and could then stream whenever. Oh well.

Thanks for confirming adding vp9 would be a lot of work for no reason, guessable but one never really knows unless by asking someone who does.

I have watched a small bit of hobby chess on yt, not any pro stuff though, hope you enjoy :)